JOIN THE MOVEMENT
We invite you to join the Sanctuary Movement of Atlanta. Through membership your congregation will become a visible, prophetic witness and leader in our community by making an intentional public stand that declares your faithful commitment to “welcoming the stranger” in our midst.
Sanctuary is a faithful response to an invitation from the immigrant community to walk with them and follow their lead as they fight for and insist on justice. In a world that so often responds with fear, hatred, and closed doors, we are so grateful for this opportunity, to respond with faith, compassion, and open arms.
We recognize that we are bringing together cultures and backgrounds to make a new community, and there will likely be misunderstandings between us. We all commit to honesty, assuming good intentions, working through differences, and focusing on our common goal of keeping a family together.
Your public affiliation with SMA connects you to a dynamic social justice movement and a diverse network of Atlanta congregations and individuals among whom you will
- build personal relationships across faiths, ethnic groups, and cultures
- access trainings and resources to equip your work for justice for immigrants
- become involved in decision-making about SMA programs and strategies
- give and receive mutual support through prayer, action, and sharing of resources
- put your faith into action on a local, regional, and national level
- have the opportunity to journey with an immigrant and/or family facing deportation
- create a new, beloved community grounded in God’s vision for the world.
Members of the Sanctuary Movement of Atlanta receive:
- Connections to a wide range of advocacy organizations, community agencies, and faith networks working on many issues in support of immigrants and immigration justice
- Regular updates and calls to action on important legislative and policy issues
- Invitations to inspiring shared worship experiences hosted by member congregations
- Opportunities for leadership and participation in program development and strategic planning to guide SMA
As a member of the Sanctuary Movement of Atlanta, you commit to:
- Provide visibility for immigration issues and for SMA within your congregation by amplifying the moral imperative to stop deportations by lifting up the stories of sanctuary cases and ensuring the prophetic witness of the immigrant taking sanctuary is heard at the local, state and national levels.
- Organize with Sanctuary Movement of Atlanta's immigrant justice campaigns
- Provide support to an immigrant/and or family living in a Safe Sanctuary Church in one or more of the following areas:
- Pray for the immigrant and/or family living in Safe Sanctuary.
- Volunteer to spend day and/or night shifts on location in Safe Sanctuary.
- Volunteer to provide meals to the immigrant and/or family living in Safe Sanctuary.
- Volunteer to provide medical care to the immigrant and/or family living in Safe Sanctuary.Volunteer to provide daily prayer services for the immigrant and/or family living in Safe Sanctuary.
- Volunteer to pick up, wash, and redeliver clothes to the immigrant and/or family living in Safe Sanctuary.
- Volunteer to host entertainment events for the immigrant and/or family living in Safe Sanctuary.
- Donate clothing.
- Donate furniture.
- Donate money to support the immigrant and/or family living in Safe Sanctuary.
- Provide legal services.